Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Six Songs for Sweepers

Here's my lucky playlist: the songs that make me feel lucky, the songs I hum when I'm feeling happy about a win or just dreaming about one.
1. "Something's Coming" from West Side Story [full lyrics]

This song is on my list because it's all about anticipating something good coming to you. What sweeper who's checking the mailbox, reading email, spotting the message light flashing on the answering machine, can't identify with this sentiment:

I got a feeling there's a miracle due,
Gonna come true,
Coming to me!

Could it be? Yes, it could.
Something's coming, something good,
If I can wait!
Something's coming, I don't know what it is,
But it is
Gonna be great! 


2. "Luck Be a Lady" from Guys and Dolls [full lyrics]

We all want luck to be good to us, don't we? Here's how the chorus to this song goes:

Luck be a lady tonight
Luck be a lady tonight
Luck if you've ever been a lady to begin with
Luck be a lady tonight.



3. "The Gold Diggers' Song (We're in the Money)" from Gold Diggers of 1933 [full lyrics]

I know this song mostly from the stage musical 42nd Street but Ginger Rogers sang it first in the 1933 film.

 It's the tune I hum or sing when I get a really good cash win, and not nearly as often as I'd like. All together now....
 
We're in the money,
We're in the money;
We've got a lot of what it takes to get along!
We're in the money,
The sky is sunny;
Old Man Depression, you are through,
You done us wrong! 


4. "I'm Looking Over a Four-Leaf Clover" [listen here]

This cute little ditty was written in 1927, and it's very short, so I'm going to print all the lyrics here.

I sing it to myself when I'm looking for four-leaf clovers and especially when I find one. 

I'm looking over a four-leaf clover
That I overlooked before.
One leaf is sunshine, the second is rain,
Third is the roses that grow in the lane.
No need explaining, the one remaining
Is somebody I adore.
I'm looking over a four-leaf clover
That I overlooked before.


5. "Money (That's What I Want)" [full lyrics]

Apparently this song was most famously recorded by a group called the Flying Lizards. I know it because it's on the Josie and the Pussycats movie soundtrack.

Don't the song's opening lyrics say it all for the sweeper on a quest for cash prizes?

The best things in life are free,
But you can give them to the birds and bees.
I want money!


6. "I Wanna Be Rich" [full lyrics]

This is the refrain that comes to mind when I'm buying a ticket to Lotto or Powerball.

I want money, lots and lots of money
I want the pie in the sky
I want money, lots and lots of money
So don't be asking me why 


And those are my favorite songs about luck and money. Sorry, I couldn't come up with four more to make it a top 10 list. Do you have any songs to add to the Sweeper's Playlist?

No comments: